The Owl 10/11/22
Reminder: No School this Friday and next!
This is a reminder that there is no school or Global Kids this Friday, October 14th due to our statewide faculty professional development day.
You may view the updated 2022-23 school year calendar here and the updated No School Day calendar here.
There is also NO SCHOOL next Friday, October 21st due to Parent-Teacher Conferences.
Sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent-Teacher Conferences are coming up on October 21st! This year, you will have the option to attend in-person or on Zoom. YOUR CHOICE!
All Homeroom, English, Art, Music, & PE teachers will have conferences on Friday, October 21st.
English Specialists (Grades 1-5) will have additional conference options on a day the following week.
Art, Music, and PE Specialists will also hold conferences
All conferences on October 21st will be available to be attended in-person OR via Zoom – up to you! All English conferences the following week will be via Zoom only due to classes being in session.
To sign up for your conferences:
– Go to https://ptcfast.com/schools/InternationalSchool_Portland
– Check off the names of all the teachers that you want conferences with for all of your ISP students.
– Tell the system that these conferences are for different students – next screen will ask which conference is for which child.
– The system will send a link to your e-mail. Check your email, click on the link.
– The system will give you side-by-side availability for all the teachers you selected – just click the conferences that you want!
– Then it will send you a confirmation for all the conferences you signed up for.
If you have any questions or issues with the system, please contact Candy Trujillo at email@example.com
Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
On Friday, October 7, the ISP Parent Network, in coordination with several of our Spanish track teachers, hosted a special Hispanic Heritage Month celebration! Students enjoy the festivities, and will involve music, snacks, and other activities.
Hispanic Heritage Month runs from September 15th through October 15th. Dating back to 1968, Hispanic Heritage Month honors contributions by people of Hispanic identity. AT ISP we love to celebrate the diverse cultures and countries within our Spanish Track and school community at large!
Flu & Covid-19 Vaccine Clinic
ISP is hosting a flu vaccine clinic, and parents/guardians are invited to get one as well!
The clinic Friday, October 21st from 8:30 – 11:30am. This is also Parent / Teacher Conference Day.*
The clinic accepts the following insurance:
– Pacific Source
– Oregon Health Plan (OHP)
– Medicare: Only if Primary Insurance. (If they have a Medicare supplemental plan it must be one of the listed companies.)
Without insurance, the cost is $38.00
*Parent Teacher Conference Day is being offered in person and via Zoom.
Fall Costume Parade – October 31st!
It’s back! Get ready for the annual Fall Costume Parade! This beloved tradition will be held on Monday, October 31 from 8:45-9:45am.
Students, Families, and Staff are encouraged to dress up! Please, no weapons of any kind (light sabers are weapons), no bloody wounds or very scary masks, and no costumes that drag on the ground or otherwise interfere with walking. Students can put on masks or long capes ONLY for the parade and must take them off again after the parade.
No candy, please!
MySchool App Directories: Now Search by Zip or Homeroom Teacher!
We have done some tweaks to the MySchool App digital Directories!
You can now search by Homeroom teacher and zip code. Parents have Parent, Student, and Faculty & Staff Directories. You can search for other community members in the database and view their “Contact Card ‘ information.
MySchool App is password-protected, and this information is only accessible by current ISP families, Faculty, and Staff. Login here: https://intlschool.myschoolapp.com/
***IMPORTANT! You can see more information about your own family members on their Contact Cards than other parents can see, such as your child’s emergency contacts and school-assigned email address.***
The My Contacts feature allows you to save a list of the people that you contact most frequently, thereby creating a personal address book. For example, you can add your child’s teachers to your My Contacts page.
You have your own Privacy Settings page, which can be accessed by navigating to your name in the upper right corner and selecting Settings > Privacy.
On this page, in the General Settings section, you can determine what information that teachers, parents, and admins can view about you. By default, information that parents can see about other students and teachers is quite limited.
In the Directory Settings section, a user can determine what information others can view about them in the school Directories. A user has two options:
1) Include my name but do not include any other information about me
– If you choose this option, only your name will appear in the community directories. ***Please keep in mind that it will be very difficult for other parents to invite you and your child to playdates, birthday parties, and other events if no contact information is shown!***
2) Include my name and use my General Settings for what other people should see about me
– If you choose this option, the community directories will display the information that you published in the General Settings section
We hope that you find these updates useful!’
Class Parties & Academic Events
We are excited to finally allow parents & guardians back into the school buildings for class parties and other academic events!
Below are some helpful pointers:
- Due to classroom size constraints, we ask that there please be one adult per household for a class celebration. Guests must be responsible for any young children that they bring.
- For events like English publishing parties, there is no limit to family size (we hold these in communal spaces).
- Parents/guardians do NOT need to have a background check to be a guest at a class party or academic event.
- For a child’s birthday celebration:
A parent or guardian of the child can bring a treat to share with the class. Please contact your child’s homeroom teacher to organize a date or time.
IMPORTANT: for Early Childhood, all treats must be store bought or professionally made, with the ingredients listed.
For Treats/Parties in October – Families, please be sure any treats or parties held this month are focused on our Fall theme. Treats and parties should not include any Halloween-themed items.
Dismissal Reminders for Carline
Some helpful hints for using SchoolPass during afternoon dismissal!
When waiting in the carline, please enter yourself immediately upon arrival to place you in the proper order in the cue. Otherwise, your car will be listed behind other drivers.
Secondly, If you see “early pickup” at that time and no option for carline, please force quit the app and reopen it, then select “carline.”
Gilkey Middle School @ FAIS – Tours and Open Houses
French American International School is inviting ISP families to learn more about its Gilkey Middle School. Registration for all of their tours and Open Houses is available on the Admissions Events page of their website.
Middle School Open Tours are available to all families interested in any track:
– Friday, October 14, at 9:00 AM
– Friday, November 18, at 9:00 AM
– Thursday, November 3, at 6:30 PM
– Thursday, January 12, at 6:30 PM