As you know, Portland is in the midst of a housing crisis. Homelessness in this city is an extremely complicated issue. However, we need to put the safety and security of our students first. We are continually monitoring and revising our safety policies and procedures in order to keep our campus safe for all. These are some of the actions that we have taken and are in place already.
- Daily on-site security from 5:00 pm to 6:00 am, to prevent or discourage homeless to set up camps around the school.
- Our Maintenance Staff does daily sweeps of the grounds every morning prior to the beginning of the school day.
- Our safety committee and maintenance staff has recently met with the Portland Police and other city representatives to increase their awareness of problems in our area.
- We have partnered with the South Park Association and Friends of River Place who are doing patrol operations around the clock. TIS parents also engage in bi-monthly clean-up walks to maintain areas around campus and to notify the authorities if there are any problems.
- The Portland Police office will be also reinstating patrol rounds around the neighborhood.
We encourage parents and staff to report camps to PDXreporter.org The more complaints they receive, the better the response from the police department. This is a tool to report campsites, graffiti, needles, etc. Include photos, location and comments where possible. This goes through the Mayor's office and is taken quite seriously. You can also report camping to reportPDX@PortlandOregon.gov.
You may have noticed an uptick in activity around campus lately; this is because several area camps were cleared last week.